House of Lords, Written Answers

Forced Marriage

Posted by LordSheikh

Lord Sheikh:

To ask Her Majesty’s Government what additional support they will give to victims of forced marriages.

The Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Lord Howell of Guildford): There is a cross-government approach to tackle the issue of forced marriages. The Forced Marriage Unit (FMU) will shortly develop its new action plan for 2011-12 in consultation with other government departments and its voluntary sector partners.

If a person is at risk of forced marriage or has already been forced into marriage they can seek support from the Forced Marriage Unit (FMU), a joint Home Office and Foreign and Commonwealth Office unit; and by applying for a forced marriage civil protection order under the Forced Marriage (Civil Protection) Act 2007.

The FMU also provides funding to local projects, through its annual Domestic Programme Fund.

Related Post